Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Flight Challenge Continues

Another day of sunshine yesterday allowed me to make a visit to Westbere Lakes after work to check out the Norfolk Hawkers. Again, the task was to try to get a decent flight shot of these tricky subjects which don't tend to stay still for very long. I soon found 8+ Norfolk Hawker in their usual areas, most looking very much like the photo below where they tend to spend most of their time resting and waiting for intruding males to pass by. This at least make for a pleasant and quite easy shot to get.

Male Norfolk Hawker

After wandering around a bit I found a few individuals flying and spent some time trying to get a flight shot. Not unlike the past few attempts, most were just out of focus but a few just about passed the test although I still await 'that' shot. I'm working on the principal that if I keep trying I might eventually get it. Anyway a very pleasant hour spent watching and photographing these stunning dragonflies. Also seen were a few Black tailed Skimmer, 2 Scarce Chaser, 1 Hairy Dragonfly, Banded Demoiselle and plenty of 'Blue' damselflies.





 Norfolk Hawker

5 comments:

  1. Can they ever be totally in focus Marc ? They move so damn quick! You've almost cracked it though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those flight pictures are amazing. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that most of us mere mortals would consider that you are well past the "that shot" stage Marc, can't really see how you can improve on today's lot.
    That book is getting closer and closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek for your kind words. I will put you down for a signed copy!!

      Delete
  4. That's beautiful, hovering. Excellent photos Marc.

    ReplyDelete