Friday 6 June 2014

Hawking Around in the Woods!

With some more warm sunshine after work I cycled home as usual and stopped off for an hour at East Blean Woods in the hope of seeing the Norfolk Hawker again. On arrival at 4.35pm, Dave Barnes and Chris Tedder were already in the car park and had seen the Hawker flying around, Chris managing a shot of it at rest. It hadn't been seen for a while so after watching 2 Large Skipper flying around and 1 Hairy Dragonfly I went for a walk along one of the sunny woodland rides. I had been looking unsuccessfully for about 10 minutes when the Norfolk Hawker flew into view and started flying around above my head before coming lower and landing at a nice height. As I made my way slowly to the area I took a couple of distant efforts which I think confirm it as a male.

Norfolk Hawker

I had the woods to myself or so I thought and as I made my way nearer for the killer shots, an elderly man appeared along the path with his white speedos on and Roy Cropper shopping bag. I think he was looking for the sea or so it looked but the inevitable happened as he walked by and flushed the Hawker, aaarrrrrgggghhhhh! I at least had a record shot of it and I managed to see it again briefly as it flew around which gave me the chance of a few distant flight shots but some of the key features can still be seen.

Norfolk Hawker

Somewhat pleased with the sighting I walked back seeing 1 Broad bodied Chaser and 1 Hairy Dragonfly, not bad for an hour! Hopefully out Sunday as the weather tomorrow does not look that good. A few Red veined Darter seem to have been around in the past week so I may go in search of them along with the Norfolk Hawker.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, it's a winner, the Norfolk Hawker. Well done Marc, and flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an absolute corker of a shot of the East Blean Norfolk Hawker here: http://mothsofboughton-under-blean.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete