Saturday 6 July 2013

Darting About at Reculver!

With sunshine all the way apparently for the next 10 days or so I was keen to get out this morning and take a walk at Reculver. I arrived at 5.30am having seen 2 Little Owls sitting in the road as I made my way to the towers. I walked on down to Chambers Wall crossing before walking back along the seawall. The sun soon warmed up the area which made for a pleasant walk and there was next to no wind. Birds noted were 2 Little Owl in the caravan park, 5 Sandwich Tern, 4 mute Swan, 3 Swift, 18 Redshank, 1 Dunlin, 5 Oystercatcher, 1 Sparrowhawk, 10 Meadow Pipit, 3 Ringed Plover, 6 Lapwing and 2 Whitethroat. There were 2 Greenshank, 3 Curlew, 2 Grey Heron, 4 Tufted Duck, 3 Reed Bunting, 6 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Common Tern, 3 Little Egret and 5 Skylark. As I walked back I met Barry and as I was calling in at Highstead Barry joined me in the search for Red veined Darters. We arrived a few minutes later where the temperature was slowly rising. We had a walk in the area for 45 minutes where we noted 2 Red veined Darter with 1 male showing very well allowing for some photos, 4 Black tailed Skimmer, 1 Emperor Dragonfly, 1 Common Darter and lots of Common Blue Damselfly. 




Male Red veined Darter

Butterflies seen included 1 Large Skipper, 2 Meadow Brown and 1 Small Tortoiseshell. Still no camera back yet but I am assured it will be here by next Wednesday. Apparently its been back once but the shop were not happy so have sent it back. Hopefully out in the morning on the search of an Emperor shot, a species I am yet to photograph at all.

Black tailed Skimmer

Again these shots look nothing like the originals I done up in photoshop, these efforts looking washed out and noisy.



4 comments:

  1. I'll be lucky to photograph a B T Skimmer this year Marc, ther're not often seen here. Good luck with the Emperor, surely this spell of fine weather will give you a good opportunity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, no need to say sorry, they are tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think these are washed out and noisy you're a little more critical than me. Red Darters looking good to me Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice snapshots of the dragonfly

    ReplyDelete