Saturday 27 April 2013

They're Still Arriving

With clear skies and light winds I was out early this morning at the time of 4.30am where I was soon listening to the sound of a Nightingale at Reculver. The dawn chorus soon started afterwards and the bushes came alive with bird song which sounded fantastic as ever. Not much else was noted driving around apart from 5 Red legged Partridge and a Kestrel. I then drove over to the towers where I parked up and walked down the seawall to Coldharbour before walking inland to Chambers Wall where I checked all the bushes for migrants. I then walked back the way I had come and was home by 9.15am to take my daughter to karate. Birds noted this morning were 17 Whitethroat, 3 Blackcap, 1 Sparrowhawk, 15 Cormorant, 4 Shelduck, 10 Meadow Pipit, 11 Sedge Warbler, 15 Linnet, 6 Mallard, 6 Mute Swan, 8 Oystercatcher and with the tide dropping I found 2 Bar tailed Godwit feeding on the mud which gave me my first opportunity to get the camera out of the bag and get a few shots. 

Bar tailed Godwit

There were 19 Redshank, 1 distant Barn Owl sitting on a post, 5 Reed Bunting, 5 Swallow, 4 Gadwall, 6 Shoveler, 1 Marsh Harrier, 4 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Canada Goose flew west offshore and 1 Fulmar whizzed past. Also noted were 4 Wheatear, 1 Grey Heron and bush bashing was rewarded with a Garden Warbler (145) and 2 Willow Warbler. Walking back I saw and heard a Cuckoo and along the seawall there was 1 Greenshank and 1 Whinchat (146) was happily perching on bushes but never let me get too close for anything other than a distant shot.


Whinchat

Back at the towers I could see a nice flock of Sand Martin around the colony before I left for home. Hopefully back out in the morning early for another session. Maybe a stake out for the Barn Owl if the weather looks good!


Whinchat

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't mind a spring Whinchat here Marc, i dont get many on spring passage. I see you suffer with the twigs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Bar-tailed Godwit, I love it.

    ReplyDelete