Saturday 13 April 2013

More Migrants Arrive

With news of a Tawny Owl being seen in the week at Reculver around midnight, I thought I would get up early and see if I could maybe locate this scare Reculver bird. I was out of the house at the early time of 4.45am where the birds were already in song as I drove around the area. I spent some time in the area the Owl was seen but despite the good conditions I drew a blank on this front. I carried on around the area where I noted 2 Little Owl and later had lovely views of a Barn Owl as it hunted in the morning light. Also seen inland were 4 Chiffchaff, 8 Tufted Duck, 4 Gadwall, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Green Woodpecker, 5 Grey Partridge, 2 Redwing, 1 Fieldfare and 3 Skylark. The air was filled with bird song and its always nice to park up and hear Skylarks singing. As the light picked up I drove over to the towers where I then checked the rocks and bushes around the area noting 1 Black Redstart and looking west along the clifftop gave me my first 10 Sand Martin (127)  of the year. I then walked on down to Coldharbour and inland to Chambers Wall where I then walked along the embankment and back to the seawall. It was nice to see the sun shining and this seemed to bring the birds out with some nice species seen including 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Green Woodpecker, 2 Goldcrest, 34 Meadow Pipit, 8 Oystercatcher, 13 Swallow flew west, 2 Pied Wagtail, 4 Shelduck, 17 Redshank, 14 Reed Bunting, 10 Linnet and it was nice to see a nice male Yellow Wagtail (128).

Yellow Wagtail

There were 24 Turnstone, 2 Grey Heron, 7 Ringed Plover, 11 Mallard, 3 Mute Swan, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Black Redstart in the oyster farm, photo below taken on the 10th April, 2 Dunlin, 4 Little Egret and as I approached the railway embankment 1 Tree Pipit (129) flew west calling. The day was not done yet as I also noted 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, 3 Greylag Geese, 3 Curlew, 2 Canada Geese, 2 Sandwich Tern sitting on the mud offshore and 1 House Martin (130) flew west with Swallows. A few minutes later I saw a bird moving in the bushes near the towers which turned out to be a female Blackcap (131) and whilst talking to Julian 1 Fulmar flew west. Despite not being out for long and home by 9.15am, it was a great session and always nice to see the migrants arriving back. Back to work Monday and so hopefully a few more birds will be seen in tomorrow mornings session.


Black Redstart

5 comments:

  1. The Yellow Wagtail is a finest bird, you have a wonderful camera strength. And, Black Redstart, you can't beat it. Cheers Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a Tawny owl myself this morning Marc (well, two Jays pointed it out to me!) Think I would swap it for a Yellow Wag though, especially on perched up like your excellent photo shows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buenas capturas,me encanta la Lavandera boyera.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice scattering of migrants there Marc, great Yellow Wag pic :-)

    ReplyDelete