Tuesday 4 December 2012

Sunshine and Waxwings!

I received a text from Chris Hindle this morning alerting me that he had just seen 3 Waxwings at the Chambers Wall crossing before they then flew west. With the sun shining well I thought I would take a drive over in the afternoon in the hope that they would be around still. There were good numbers of Redwings around the bushes as I walked up to the crossing and a few Fieldfare were also seen. Not long after I reached the embankment I scanned the bush tops and soon found the 3 Waxwings, but they were on the wrong side of the railway line and not reachable. However the train soon helped me out and as it passed the Waxwings duly took flight and landed on the correct side of the railway line. I approached slowly and had lovely views of them and with a bit of work managed a number of pleasing shots. I think they are probably the best Waxwing shots I have got at Reculver anyway.


Waxwing

With every train that passed they took flight but normally came back to the bushes nearby. I was hoping they would feed low down in the bushes giving some nice contrast on the plumage but they never quite managed it. With no one else around I was able to enjoy this fantastic experience as they sat close by trilling to each other, just brilliant to see and hear. I left them in peace and had a quick look out to sea and then walked back to the car. Birds noted were 1 Peregrine, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Kestrel, c30 distant Greylag Geese, c400 Brent Geese, c350 Lapwing, 2 Dunlin, 23 Redshank, 5 Turnstone, 21 Mallard, c80 Teal, 2 Marsh Harrier, 1 Wigeon, 2 Snipe, 2 Stonechat, 5 Meadow Pipit, 3 Red throated Diver east and 2 drake Goosander west. A great but brief session and proof that you dont need a long while to see some quality birds.



Waxwing

9 comments:

  1. Quality birds, quality pics Marc....patience is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh very nice, the best yet Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got them Marc, they are a pleasure to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did y take y train timetable ??
    Quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I love it when they have a berry in the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marc ,
    Brilliant shots , and pleased you managed to find the sun for them too .

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all came together at last then Marc - sun and Waxwings :-) You made the most of the opportunity too, nice one !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnifique série! Ces jaseurs sont vraiment très photogéniques. Bien joué.

    ReplyDelete