Saturday 8 December 2012

A Cold Look at Sea!

With a cold north easterly wind forecast this morning I thought after I had driven around looking for Owls in the darkness that I would have a seawatch. I failed to hear any Long eared Owls but had nice views of a Barn Owl as it passed up and down one of the lanes that I was parked in. It was also heard calling a few times, a scary noise to hear in the darkness. As the light picked up I arrived at the towers where I spent and hour or so watching a few birds moving in the cold wind. Birds noted were 121 Wigeon, c100 Cormorant, 7 Common Scoter, 362 Teal, 1 drake Goosander west, 17 Red throated Diver, 27 Oystercatcher, c20 Mallard, c150 Brent Geese, c40 Gadwall, 3 Shelduck, 19 Dunlin and 2 Little Egret. There were 3 Red breasted Merganser, 1 Pintail, 2 Rock Pipit, 1 Great crested Grebe, 5 Ringed Plover, 1 Marsh Harrier, 79 Redshank, 2 Meadow Pipit, 7 Sanderling and 2 Stonechat. A walk down to Coldharbour did not reveal that much and as I returned to the car 2 Goldcrest provided the entertainment for the camera with a few shots taken. 

Goldcrest

5 comments:

  1. Hoping for a Goosander to drop in here at some point over the winter Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, you caught it, a Goldcrest, very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful picture of Goldcrest .. Congratulations ..

    ReplyDelete