Saturday 3 November 2012

Up with the Lark!

I woke up this morning at 4.30am and rather than fall back to sleep I decided to get up, do the flask and see If I could see or hear any Owls in the Reculver area. There was little wind at first which made for some good listening but try as I did, I did not see or hear a single Owl despite driving the lanes. I then parked up at Reculver just before 6am and had a quick snooze before the Parker car crawled around the corner. At this point the rain started to fall and this is what it was like for the next few hours. In fact Phil and I just sat in the car drinking coffee and talked and talked. With the rain not easing we drove into the car park and looked out at sea from the cars. Just a few Brent Geese flying east was our reward. Phil decided to call it a day and I nearly did for I saw some blue sky to the west. It seemed a good decision in the end as eventually the rain stopped and the clearer weather moved in. I was soon ready and walking down to Coldharbour where I noted a few birds including c100 Brent Geese, 2 Rock Pipit, 4 Lesser Redpoll west, 2 Curlew, 8 Ringed Plover, 8 Meadow Pipit, 22 Redshank, 6 Sanderling, 3 Turnstone, 2 Little Egret and not far from Coldharbour I found 1 Shorelark feeding happily on the shingle. With no one else around I sat myself on the seawall and with the light getting better I took a number of shots of this attractive Lark.


Shorelark

The Shorelark even started singing to itself providing yet more entertainment. Chris and Anne Hindle arrived a little later and they left me happily snapping away but little did I know to the west c30 foreign birders were coming down the seawall. With a number of shots taken I didn't risk the crowds and made my way back along the seawall noting 6 Grey Plover, 24 Cormorant, 20 Reed Bunting, 23 Mallard, 1 Stonechat, 5 Swallow, 1 House Martin, c50 Linnet, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Snow Bunting but no sign of the other two from yesterday. The sun was now fully shining as I got back to the car, typical but I left with another set of Shorelark shots to go through. No doubt I will not have the shot I am after yet though.



Shorelark



11 comments:

  1. Well for once I did better than you for Owls today Marc - only just though :-)

    Havn't got a clue with the Phone and Photo's mate :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc, I have the same phone. I think the blog albums appear because blogger stores the photos in Picassa which links through to Google +. I think the albums on the phone are just links to online albums in google + (they have a strange icon on them). Maybe removing Google+ from your google account will get rid of the albums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kieron

    Many thanks. Next silly question. How do i do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, I would be nervous if I had the same problem, frearing a disppearance of all the pics on my blog...
    Good luck with this one!
    Anyhow, your photos are gorgeous, I have never seen this little fellow!
    He is really cute with featers as ears!
    Jolly well done, Marc!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots, Marc! I like how it's fluffed up! I can't help with the phone/photo issue. I'm on G+, but my blog photos don't come to my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have finally sorted out the photo issue with my phone you will be pleased to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Was I on the right path?

      Delete
    2. Kieron

      Kind of. I went onto a forum and found out. For future reference I had to go into settings, accounts and sync, click google and then untick sync picasa web albums. I just wish I had looked earlier.

      Delete
  7. I popped over to Reculver late yesterday afternoon and saw the Shorelark and Snow Bunting feeding together. Also hoped to see an owl, but all was quiet on that front

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marc
    Great set of photo's, but then they always are.

    Good news that you have sorted out your phone/photo troubles.

    Looking forward to your next set of photo's.

    ReplyDelete