Wednesday 10 October 2012

The 'K' Factor!

With another day predicted for sunshine I was eager to see if I could improve on my Kingfisher shots in the last few weeks. I managed to grab an hour or so before work and arrived at Stodmarsh just as Steve Ashton was parking up. He had the same idea as me and we wandered up to the Reedbed hide in the hope the Kingfisher would show for us. In order for the plan to work there were a number of factors we needed to happen, the bird to be present for some time to allow us a good number of shots, the sun shining and behind us and a quiet hide! After chatting for a few minutes the noise of a Kingfisher was heard and it duly arrived on the post outside of the hide. Words cannot describe the colours on these birds when the sun shines on them and we started half an hour of firing off shot after shot. During this time the Kingfisher caught two sizeable roach and a further smaller one. Occasionally it would fly off to preen only to return for us again to get more shots and poses. I wanted to get a few pleasing shots and improve upon my earlier efforts and I think I may have achieved this, in fact I don't think I will probably ever take a more pleasing shot than the first one below. You just can't get enough of these birds and they always entertain and the colours change according to the sun and different angles. A few other birds were noted including 2 Jay, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 4 Great crested Grebe, 2 Marsh Harrier, 2 Cetti's Warbler, c30 Bearded Tit, 2 Water Rail, 3 Skylark, c40 Siskin near the alder wood, Mallard, Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal on the main lake and 5 Redwing were in trees along the entrance track as I left allowing me to grab a few shots from the car. I returned to Grove Ferry after work for a bit and made quick visits to the Feast and Harrisons hide and noted 7 Swallow, 1 Sparrowhawk, 12 Snipe, 4 Grey Heron, 8 Goldfinch, 1 Peregrine, c500 Lapwing, 2 Wigeon, 2 Marsh Harrier, c120 Greylag flew in from the east and 65 Black headed Gull were present along with a few Bearded Tits which were seen and heard occasionally. With the sun shining 3 Migrant Hawker and 5 Common Darter were noted. I shall probably be back again no doubt to see the Kingfisher again soon where hopefully some more improvements can be made but if not what a fantastic moment in time with this beautiful bird.




9 comments:

  1. Well worth the early visit Marc, the lighting is superb that time of the day setting off your pictures nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don;t think you'll ever get a better image than any of these either Marc....powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely superb Marc. I agree that that first image is a real belter, and shows off the turquoise colouration superbly, but I'd find it hard to choose between that one and the first evening image which has the orange/red breast 'on fire' in the evening sunlight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some more great photos Marc. The first one really being caught by that beautiful early morning light. I know exactly how you feel about this bird, and like you ,I will no doubt revisit the hide again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont see how you can improve all that much on these shots Marc, maybe a shot with a fish being held. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fantastic images with brilliant light- my favourite is second up from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shine on those kingfishers. What beauties and you show them off beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are stunning shots, Marc! I enjoyed seeing the Kingfisher from the front. I wish I could get close enough to the Belted Kingfishers here.

    ReplyDelete