Saturday 22 September 2012

The Willow Emerald Damselfly

I actually had another lay in this morning and didn't leave the house until 6.30am where I had a quick drive around the Reculver area to see if anything was about. I had intended to look for dragonflies again this morning so after having 20 minutes looking out at sea in the car where all I saw was 11 Oystercatcher and a few Cormorant I drove over to Brook where I spent the next 4 hours. I had hoped to find a Common Damselfly at rest in the same position I had photographed one the other day but despite a good search early on, I could not find any. A few Chiffchaff were calling and I also noted 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Kestrel, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Pochard, 1 Wigeon, 2 Little Grebe and c30 Coot. As the sun got some warmth in it I finally started to see some dragonflies flying around and soon located 1 Migrant Hawker and a few Common Blue Damselflies. I was following a Common Blue when another damselfly flew out to check it out. It was the first of 2 Willow Emerald damselflies seen today here. I set about getting yet more shots of these lovely insects from different angles and after a while the damselfly moved off higher into the trees. I continued on finding a good sunny and sheltered area where I spent some time photographing the second Willow Emerald. I tried to get a few head on shots but it was always tricky with the light but it was another good challenge. On the concrete track here there was also c15 Common Darter resting and flying around providing yet more camera action, I shall post some of these in the week when all things are quiet. Also noted were a few Small and Large White, 1 Red Admiral and c20 Common Blue damselfly. Pleased with my efforts I took the 5 minute drive to Marshside to see if any Willow Emeralds were there. It did not take me long to locate 4 Willow Emeralds damselflies at rest and yes you guessed it, I took a load more shots. This species seems to let you get very close to it unlike the other damselfly species. Also here were 3 Red Admiral, 1 Comma, 1 Migrant Hawker and 2 Common Darter. No doubt I will also post some more shots later in the week of them. With October around the corner and the colder weather not far away I have got to make the most of them being active. A pleasant morning with a few more shots in the bag and great views of this still rare Kent damselfly.

11 comments:

  1. Nice work Marc,
    Might well be the last we see of the Damsels for a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc.You have done it again !! That final image is yet another stunning close up..Wonderful...keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning images of the damselfly! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100 out of 100 for the photography Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their eyes, their eyes. Brilliant Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes done it again, this time the Willow Emerald Damselfly Marc....the eyes have it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These " peering round the grass" shots must be getting boring for you now. WHAT NEXT ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some huge eyes! Beautiful photos, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing detail of the eyes!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic pics Marc, and an awesome header photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice one on the Willow Emeralds Mark. We don't get them in these parts. I may have to make a trip at some point to get them on my life list!

    ReplyDelete