Saturday 19 January 2019

Dipping at Nethergong

On a frosty cold morning, I spent a couple of hours at the stream and pond at Nethergong where the plan was to see if I could find any Banded Demoiselle nymphs in the stream and Broad bodied Chaser nymphs at the pond. On arrival at 08:45am, the last of the frost was just hanging on as the weak sun shone for a change which was nice. I spent the first hour at the stream where I walked c300yards along the stretch, dipping the net every now and then at likely locations and was rewarded with c30 Banded Demoiselle nymphs of varying sizes which was encouraging so early in the year.
 

Nethergong Stream
 


Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) Nymphs
 
With the fingers not showing any signs of warming up, I thought I might as well carry on and so then drove over to the large pond which has a variety of dragonfly and damselfly nymphs in it but on arrival, most of the pond was frozen over. There was only a small area which had just melted where I spent a short while dipping the net in the silt which proved quite successful as I managed to find c15 Broad bodied Chaser nymphs.
 
 

Broad bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa) Nymphs
 
Despite the cold temperatures, it was nice to spend a few hours out in the sunshine finding a few species in their natural habitats. With the season a few months away yet, I suspect there will be quite a few more dipping sessions at various locations and hopefully a couple of indoor photography sessions with any of the nymphs I may collect. It's certainly warmer indoors at this time of year!

10 comments:

  1. I did wonder if that was your motor parked in the gateway, as I drove past this morning, en route to Marshside. Glad you had a good morning with the net. Always something of interest if you know where, and how, to look! Dyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Dyl. Yes, that was me parked up. Ideal really as I only have to walk a few yards to get into the action. Always something to find and learn. Loving your Perch project. Waiting for that 3 pounder photo.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic dippers, I love them. Broad bodied Chaser Nymphs is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love trying to learn about their underwater lives.The weeks are passing quickly. The season will soon be with us.

      Delete
  3. So the sun shone on you Marc, I wish it would shine on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it did for once. Seems most times I'm out, it's either dull, windy or raining. Made a change although my hands were freezing in the cold temperatures.

      Delete
  4. That's a really impressive haul, Marc. Hopefully they'll provide you with plenty of controlled photo opportunities later - I look forward to the updates! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Yes, hopefully with some quiet time before the season starts, it may give me the chance to spend some time photographing some nymphs at home. Still a few exuviae to photograph too.

      Delete
  5. To admire you for your patience, but most importantly, you got rid of what you expected. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Giga for your visit and comment.

      Delete