Monday 29 October 2018

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) Exuviae

Having made the trip to Thursley Common in Surrey earlier in the year to photograph the Downy Emerald emerging and collect some exuviae, I was even more looking forward to a return visit to hopefully photograph the nationally rare Brilliant Emerald emerging and hopefully, collect a few exuviae. I have only encountered this species once before in Kent at Bedgebury Pinetium so a chance to see them emerging at close quarters was not to be turned down. On arrival, the mist was rising off the water and the weather was still. I spent some time looking in the emergent vegetation where a number of Downy Emerald exuviae were still to be found but after quite a search, I found an 'Emerald' emerging which I suspected might be a Brilliant Emerald. I wasn't too sure on the features needed to get a positive identification but having done a little homework, I was aware that the Brilliant Emerald exuviae showed a large dorsal spine on S9 compared to the smaller or absent spine on the Downy Emerald exuviae. I took a few photos and zooming in did reveal the larger dorsal spine on S9 so this was indeed my first experience of a Brilliant Emerald emerging. I spent a while photographing the emergence and during my time that morning, I managed to find a few emerging and collected a few exuviae of the species which was an added bonus. To help with the identification of the exuviae for both myself and other enthusiasts, I have put together a number of photos showing some of the key features needed. As mentioned earlier, one of the main features to look out for is the prominent dorsal spine on S9. Also the long spider type legs and rows of dark spots running down both sides of the abdomen help to identify this species. I will in due coarse photograph a comparison between the Brilliant and Downy Emerald exuviae to highlight the differences of these similar species.
 

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) exuviae (side view)
 

 Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) exuviae showing dorsal spines and
 prominent spine on S9

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) exuviae showing long antennae and deep serrations on the Labial Palps

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) exuviae (top view)

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) exuviae showing dark spots running
 down both sides of abdomen

Brilliant Emerald (Somatochlora metallica) exuviae showing head shape
 


6 comments:

  1. Brilliant Emerald is quite beautiful, it is way the you photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. They certainly are brilliant indeed. Thankfully my exuviae knowledge is starting to grow nicely after all these sessions.

      Delete
  2. Very sculptural. Beautiful photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. Much appreciated. Little golden nuggets in the grasses waiting to be found.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating stuff, Marc, and beautifully photographed too. This is a species that I ought to add to my 'hit list' for 2019 - however, the journey to Thursley Common from here is a bit daunting!

    I admit to being a little amused at seeing a face in that last image! Looks like an ancient German soldier with a large moustache and wearing a helmet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. If you get the weather and timing right, then it's well worth it. Still a rare Dragonfly in this country with not too many sites so worth that effort. I see what you mean with the last photo now.

      Delete