Sunday 6 May 2018

An Emerging Education

After birding at Reculver from 5.30am this morning, I decided around 11am as it was starting to get warmer to have another visit to Westbere Lakes to see what was around. I spent most of my time searching amongst reeds for Hairy Dragonflies and their exuviae which was pretty hard going but when I eventually found an exuviae, a surprise lay ahead for me. I was just taking a few photos of the exuviae when I noticed the teneral male Hairy Dragonfly further up the reed preparing for its maiden flight. Most of the Hairy Dragonfly emergences I have seen have either been after dark or early morning so I was somewhat surprised to see one emerging late morning. As I searched in the same area, I found what I thought was another exuviae very near to the other one but then it suddenly flicked its abdomen. It was preparing to emerge. I was on a well walked footpath and after preparing the area for me to lay down and moving a few reeds to the side, I was able to get comfortable and settle in. It wasn't long until a number of walkers approached and I probably looked like a face down dead body laying there but nearly all who passed showed an interest in firstly, was I alright and secondly, what was I doing. I was able then to spend some time showing people there first ever Hairy Dragonfly emerging and in between taking photos, provide a few words on their lives as nymphs and dragonflies. I think most went away quite impressed with their sightings. I carried on taking a number of photos of the emergence until finally, having rested for quite a time, the male Hairy Dragonfly made his maiden flight successfully. The Stour Valley is starting to build up with Hobbies, so there work will be cut out to avoid this speedy bird of prey. Having spent a little longer on site than I had anticipated, I walked back to the car and returned home where most of the afternoon was spent with friends having a barbeque at ours. Hopefully another visit out tomorrow as we have an extra day off work to see what's about.
 



 








 Hairy Dragonfly (male) Emerging





6 comments:

  1. Beauty Marc, absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. The more I photograph this, the more I marvel at what nature can deliver and show us.

      Delete
  2. Well up to your usual fantastic standard Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on all counts, Marc! Your wonderful images are making me increasingly jealous. Still no sign of anything in these parts although not been out today due to an injured back. Have been practicing with the Sigma 150 macro for the past couple of days in preparation, however (got it a bit late last season to get full use of it).

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. The lens is still doing me proud. Took a while to get used to but once practice enough, I think the results are pretty good. Can't believe you have nothing yet. Quite a bit out now here in east Kent, although numbers are still to build up.

      Delete