Wednesday 18 October 2017

The 'Willows' That Just Keep Giving

Since the second week of July, I have been very lucky to have made many visits to Nethergong to experience the Willow Emerald Damselflies. Its been excellent and an education to watch them emerge, mature, mate and oviposit and many of these encounters have been documented on camera. With many species now over their flight period, I have continued to enjoy the Willow Emerald Damselfly season and last weekend during a warm weather spell which saw temperatures reach the low twenties, I spent a few hours at Nethergong counting, watching and photographing this species. Most of the action were centered around a couple of Alder Trees overhanging the water where a number of pairs were seen in tandem and egg laying on the branches. A good search through the binoculars at the branches revealed excellent numbers of gall marks (the raised marks on the tree where egg laying has taken place) and i'm hopeful of another good season next year. I continued to wander and soon found a few individuals enjoying the sunshine and perching out well which enabled me to take a number of photos of them in the lovely light. No matter how many photos I have taken of this species, I am always looking for improvements as the changing light can affect the photos considerably. The weather forecast doesn't look that good for the weekend but I am hopeful that I can make another visit soon to enjoy the last part of their flight season as well as seeing the odd Common Darter and maybe a Migrant Hawker. 











 Willow Emerald Damselfly (male)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you have it, pure brilliant, thanks Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired by your wonderful images, Marc, this species is definitely on my wish list for next year! It would be an excellent way to round off the season!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. As I've said before, I know there are nearer colonies closer to you but I'm happy to show you some Kentish Willow Emerald Damselflies next year.

      Delete
  3. Wow and wow again superb shots,next year we may pay a visit,would love to add to our tick list,as seen.
    john.

    ReplyDelete