Friday 1 September 2017

Mistaken Identity

After arriving at Nethergong this morning at 11.30am in warm sunny conditions, I hadn't been looking for long when a pair of damselflies in tandem flew from the stream and landed not too far away. I expected them in all fairness to be a pair of Willow Emerald Damselflies but was pleased and surprised to see that they were in actual fact a male Emerald Damselfly and a female Willow Emerald Damselfly. I have only see this once before with the same pairing seen and photographed last year at Nethergong. I have read and seen the odd photo on the internet that from time to time, different species may get a little confused and accidentally pair up with other species. It does seem that the Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) are one of these species that seem to do this more than other species. I can only assume that the male Emerald Damselfly saw the female Willow Emerald Damselfly fly past and grabbed her assuming she was a female of the species. After they had landed and I had realised the significance of the sighting, I moved in very slowly so that I could capture a few photos. After what seemed an age stalking them, I was finally taking a number of photos of the pairing and wondered at this stage if the male Emerald had realised his error.

Male Emerald Damselfly in tandem with a female Willow Emerald Damselfly

They stayed in tandem for a good ten minutes and at no stage tried to mate. I think the female Willow Emerald Damselfly wasn't too happy as occasionally she would try to fly away, only to be held in position by the male who would not let her go. Eventually they parted and both flew off none the worse. An interesting and quite rare encounter and glad that I could document with some photos. Plenty more seen and photographed today which will appear in due coarse no doubt. 


Male Emerald Damselfly in tandem with a female Willow Emerald Damselfly

10 comments:

  1. Marc- the more time spent looking, the more you see. What a fantastic result and well deserved. - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dyl for taking the time to comment, much appreciated. As you say, there is lots to be seen and learnt. As I get older, I find myself appreciating wildlife a lot more. Happy to sit and study.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Is female Willow Emerald really that much bigger than the male Emerald or was it just a trick of the perspective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The female Willow is a bit more chunkier, especially in the abdomen area which is also a little longer in length.

      Delete
  3. Ooops! Having said that, I'm aware of another species of which some individuals aren't too fussy about the species on which they practise their 'mating' activities! Well observed and beautifully captured, Marc.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I suppose from time to time that they are going to make mistakes, humans do it enough times!!!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shots of the Emerald Damselfly and a female Willow Emerald Damselfly. What is a name of them, Slightly Emerald Damselfly???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. I would opt for 'Specsavers' Damselfly!!

      Delete
  5. Whats the problem? We have mixed marriages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and they often work out well. I don't think it works well in the odonata world though although I wonder if its possible and has ever worked before?

      Delete