Sunday 25 November 2018

2018 Odonata Highlights (April - May)

2018 will personally be remembered as probably my most successful year to date with regards to seeing and photographing dragonflies and damselflies, both in Kent and out of the county. At the start of the year, I set myself a number of targets with some being reasonably straight forward through to a few tough challenges which were going to require both time and a bit of homework. A few of these included trying to capture the emergence of a male Hairy Dragonfly, Norfolk Hawker and Downy and Brilliant Emerald as well as seeing my first male Common Clubtails. I also wanted to add to me exuviae collection and many hours were spent staring into reedbeds and checking emergent vegetation. Thankfully, the hours put in were rewarded with a number of new species exuviae collected. With so many visits made throughout the season and many images taken, it's been very challenging to pick a number of favourite images. To be honest, I could have chosen so many more but I have at last managed to pick a few which I find personally pleasing to look at or carry an interesting story on how I obtained the images. I have decided to put them into groups seen in particular months and during the next few weeks, I will showcase my favourite images taken throughout the year. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I did taking them.
 
Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - male, April
 
Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula)  emerging - April
 
Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) - male,  May
 
 Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) - male, May
 
 Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) - male, May
 
Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) - female, May
 
 Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) emerging - May

 Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) newly emerged female - May

 

8 comments:

  1. I just love looking at your work,the photography is so crisp,and the colours are amazing.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. Much appreciated. Really nice to see them again. Some cracking memories.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marc
    Everyone is the best, but, I think that the Large Red Damselfly is my favourite, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Bring back the warm weather! It's been a great year with some excellent opportunities taken.

      Delete
  3. Every single image is stunning in its own right. I tried to pick a favorite, but it was impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. Your comment is very much appreciated.I've been very fortunate this year to be in the right place at the right time. Lots of lovely experiences to remember.

      Delete
  4. These are absolutely stunning images, Marc! From an artistic point of view, my favourite has to be the first image, with the colours and composition being an absolute delight. However, the close-up of the Downy Emerald is a masterpiece with its detail and demonstration of the 'rainbow colours'. I look forward to the next installment! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Your visits and comments have been very much appreciated throughout the year and have spurred me on to push myself with observations and the camera. Hopefully you will enjoy the next instalment which was a busy time of year.

      Delete