Saturday 28 April 2018

A Chance Encounter

With the best of the forecast looking likely to be early morning, I was out of the house at 5.30am where I had a brief drive around the Reculver area trying to listen for Nightingales but despite stopping at a few likely areas, I did not hear any. I then moved on to Reculver where after parking the car up, I took a leisurely walk down the seawall to Coldharbour before walking inland to Chambers Wall and the embankment where I checked the bushes. There was a bit of sun early on as forecast but otherwise, it was a dull morning with a few heavy showers thrown in. However, a good range of species were seen including 2 Chiffchaff, 10 Whitethroat, 3 Blackcap, 2 Pied Wagtail, 5 Sandwich Tern, 3 Cuckoo, 9 Shelduck, 8 Oystercatcher, c20 Linnet, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 10 Reed Bunting, 4 Ringed Plover, 6 Skylark, 2 Little Egret, 6 Sedge Warbler and 2 Grasshopper Warbler were reeling, one went unseen in the Oyster Farm whilst the other was pretty elusive at Coldharbour. Whilst sitting at Coldharbour having a break, a male Wheatear, one of 8 seen today popped up on the path and as I was already sitting still, it seemed to not bother about me. It fed quite happily near me and put on quite show for the camera.
 

Male Wheatear

 
Other birds noted included 4 Redshank, 5 Reed Warbler, 19 Swallow, 2 male Whinchat at Coldharbour, such stunning birds to see, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Corn Bunting, 1 female Common Redstart in bushes at the Poplars, 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Swift, 3 Gannet, 9 Common Scoter west, 2 Great crested Grebe on the sea, 1 Shoveler, 1 Fulmar west and 1 Whimbrel was heard. A pleasant session made all the better by the Wheatear encounter. Such smart birds to look at. The weather doesn't look very good tomorrow but I will hopefully make it out for a few hors early morning.  
 




Male Wheatear 

Male and Female Wheatear


10 comments:

  1. You often comment on Birds2blog....'an excellent selection there Pete'....but yours here today is quite a WOW, with an excellent set of images of the Wheatears. Out of the house by 5.30am is another WOW too Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. They are cracking birds aren't they and nice to get them on the camera from a nice range. I do like my early starts, beat the dog walkers, cyclists, runners etc.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful shots!!!
    Have a nice weekend
    Greetings
    Maria from
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Maria for your kind words and visit. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Well Marc, what a beauty, you take some other than a Dragonflies. This one is beautiful, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Not that often I get too close to this species so it made a nice change. One of the advantages of getting out early... No one to scare the birds off.

      Delete
  4. Superb shots Marc,I might try an early start,not done that for a while,catch some early birds.
    Love your Header.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. I do love the early starts. No one about and tends to be a good time hearing the birds singing and moving. Best time of the day.

      Delete
  5. It's a long while since I had an early start, Marc, but these super images of yours have got me thinking I ought to make the effort - if I can do so without upsetting Mrs P! Keepimg my fingers crossed for weather tomorrow, but it doesn't look too promising.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to get out before the rest of the world get up. Often see some of my best stuff early on and don't have the pressures of everyone else about. I hope the weather holds up for you.

      Delete