Friday 23 May 2014

Chasing those Boys!

With Friday finally over and a week off work now, I made a visit to Westbere Lakes after work in the warm sunshine where I spent a couple of hours wandering around with the camera. It was a little breezy but there were enough sheltered spots where dragonflies and damselflies were seen in good numbers. On arrival there were good numbers of Variable, Azure, Common and Blue tailed Damselfly while later on I added Red eyed Damselfly and c6 Hairy Dragonfly. Up near the river there were lots of Banded Demoiselles, their helicopter sounding wingbeats repeatedly heard as they chased each other around. Walking on I saw the first of c15 Scarce Chaser including a smart male and this provided the challenge for today with the camera. Most were too far out of reach for the macro lens but walking back I found a few closer ones which provided me with some entertainment allowing me to grab a few shots from different angles. 


Male Scarce Chaser

Thankfully when they did fly off they soon returned to the same perch or a nearby one. I don't think I have really taken many shots of the males of this species so I was pleased again with the results. I didn't manage to find any Norfolk Hawker, Four spotted Chaser or Black tailed Skimmer but thats another challenge for another day. Not looking that good tomorrow weather wise so hopefully out Sunday somewhere looking for more dragonflies.




Male Scarce Chaser

6 comments:

  1. Wowee, that is the best thing I've seen in many the year. Fantastic Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Macros Marc very envious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb photos Marc, you have few rivals now on the local photography front.
    Be nice if you could credit the organisation that manages the lakes so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rivals Derek? Who are these. I hardly see anyone when i am out at Westbere and you are quite right, the lakes have been excellently managed for wildlife at Westbere.

      Delete
  4. These are smart little Dragons Marc, not seen this species myself. Quality photo's of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "rivals" - just a bit of termanology Marc, pictures like yours can't be rivalled.
    Yes, the Kent Wildfowlers are doing a superb job with Westbere lakes.

    ReplyDelete