Wednesday 19 February 2014

Warning - Lots of Snow Shots!

I was again very lucky this morning to get a few hours birding while the wife and kids went out shopping. A look at the forecast suggested late morning the sun would come through to a lovely afternoon so I didn't venture out until 10am. I arrived a few minutes later where it was quite bright but a little cloudy but the sky was starting to break up. I walked west a few hundred yards and soon found the Black Redstart in its usual area where I tried for a few shots but it proved a challenge shooting a dark bird in a dark area, another challenge for another day. A few birds were on the tideline including 6 Redshank, 1 Curlew, 3 Ringed Plover, 4 Sanderling, 1 Grey Plover and 4 Turnstone. I then decided to see if the Snow Buntings were around to exercise the camera. On my way down I noted 2 Stonechat, 4 Meadow Pipit, 6 Shelduck offshore, 3 Mute Swan, 1 Rock Pipit, c40 Brent Geese and 1 singing Skylark. I could see a couple of birders further ahead which turned out to be Les Woodward and Nick Smith, nice to meet you both this morning where we had a chat and fired off plenty of shots of 2 Snow Buntings which were very obliging to watch and photograph. Often they would pass within a couple of metres and seemed happy with us watching them. Les and Nick moved on and I stayed on another hour where thankfully the sun broke through and I was able to take a number of pleasing shots. I suggest you go and get a cup of tea before you read on as there are quite a few shots, the most I believe I have posted in one session but when birds are as brilliant as these you can't help but keep photographing and enjoying them. I eventually pulled myself away from them and had another quick look at the Black Redstart on the way out but there were too many people in the area making it a challenge to get any images at all. Not a lot of birds seen but most definitely a memorable session.













Snow Bunting

7 comments:

  1. Well you just about caught every pose imaginable there marc, some are quite amusing :-)

    PS I can help with tips on dark birds in dark places - I seem to do a lot of them!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some cracking shots there Mark, I got onto them later but they were running about at top speed hardly stopping for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Image number six JUST steals it. JUST.
    Lovely set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can see you got carried away with the SB's and why not. A great set of images achieved here Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't they beautiful, and to make photos, cleverness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic shots of this rarity (for me!)
    They seem so relaxed!
    Congrats, Marc!

    ReplyDelete