Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Old Faithfuls!

With yet more rain forecast and quite a strong wind I thought I would take a walk along the seawall from the towers to Minnis Bay in the hope that a few birds would be either on the beach or flying over. Armed with flask and waterproofs I made my way down the seawall noting a few birds which included 2 Jay, 1 Redpoll, c800 Chaffinch west in small flocks throughout the morning, c20 Siskin west, 1 Brambling, 3 Rock Pipit, 1 Kestrel, 4 Pied Wagtail, 15 Oystercatcher, 10 Skylark, 10 Redshank and 4 Wheatear including a nice showy individual which I saw in the same place the other day. I settled into the seawall and it wandered around a few metres away feeding up and not taking much notice of me. Despite the cloudy skies a few reasonable images were taken.


Wheatear

I carried on down the seawall hoping to find some Shorelark but it seems they may have moved on but I did encounter the faithful 2 Snow Bunting at Plumpudding stables which showed really well as ever feeding a few feet away. I have took a good few hundred shots of these in the last few visits so it was a task to try and get something a little different. Not knowing really what I wanted to get, maybe a wing stretch or something I ended up with a couple of shots that worked out well, especially this one peeping out from the side, a particular favourite I think.

Snow Bunting - Is he still taking photographs or gone yet!

I left them in peace and will no doubt return for more action but noted on the way back were 14 Turnstone, 3 Grey Plover, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Grey Wagtail, 1 Bar tailed Godwit, 43 Lapwing, 4 Ringed Plover, 1 ring tail Hen Harrier near Chambers Wall and 2 Grey Heron. I almost made it back to the car without getting wet but received a brief soaking for my efforts today. Not a bad session with a few nice birds seen and some nice vig mig. Hopefully back out tomorrow, although you've guessed it, more rain is forecast!

Snow Bunting

4 comments:

  1. More winning sightings, more winning photographs Marc....WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about the Hen Harrier Marc. More lovely photo's too, despite the light and rain, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really brilliant photography!
    I have never seen snow buntings!
    Today I have posted a Song thrush and I feel very lucky! LOL!

    ReplyDelete